Every device comes with it’s own ROM, whereas on Android it could be based on AOSP (commonly known as stock ROM). Where it doesn’t brings a lot of features, on the other hand Smartphone OEM like to build there own version of Android experience. Like Samsung build OneUI, Oppo has ColorOS, Xiaomi has MIUI, and similarly other brands designed there custom version based on Android.
They bundle there own set of feature, to distinguished between among there competitor. However, when it comes it OEM they usually don’t support the software support for many years for which you can install Custom ROM on your device, even if you want to add or use certain functionality on your device with custom ROM.
Advantage of Custom Skin or ROM
There are wide-perspective and benefits of installing custom ROM on your device, We have listed some of the advantage down below.
- It allow users to modify some system elements.
- Remove bloatware, and Ads.
- Update to the latest version of Android.
Why to Change ROM
In case if you like the hardware, but not the pre-installed OS then you can switch to custom ROM. This helps to change the UI of your device to Stock Android or the way you preferred.
How to Install Custom ROM on Your Android Device
There is no particular method to install ROM on your device, and there is wide-range of Android Custom ROM. Installing custom ROM require you to go through unlocking bootloader, require to have a custom recovery like TWRP.
Not to mentioned, before proceeding, you should take a complete backup of your data, and once you ready you may need to flash Gapps.
Noteworthy: If you like the custom ROM, do support the developer by donating so they continue to work on the projects.
List of Popular Custom ROM for Android Device
Android Developers community manage to brings Custom Rom or Called Custom Android build for the users for free, thanks to the Community. With these aftermarket firmware support you can get the latest android, even after the OEM drops the support the device within 2-3 year of their launch.
- Pixel Experience: https://download.pixelexperience.org/
- LineageOS: https://download.lineageos.org/
- EvolutionX: https://evolution-x.org/
- Havoc-OS: https://sourceforge.net/projects/havoc-os/
- ArrowOS: https://www.arrowos.net/
- crDroid: https://projectsakura.xyz/
- Paranoid Android: http://paranoidandroid.co/
- Syberia OS: https://syberiaos.com/
- Bliss ROM: https://blissroms.com/
- Project Sakura: https://projectsakura.xyz/
- RevengeOS: https://revengeos.com/
- Corvus OS: https://www.corvusrom.com/
- MSM Extended: https://projectsakura.xyz/
- AOSIP: https://aosip.dev/
Custom ROM are not been as stable as stock ROM, so in case you face unstablity with the existing custom ROM consider changing the ROM or report to the developer so they can work on it and rollout update to fix with the patch. It is recommended you to install the ROM which designed for you device either you may brick your device, and in case it happens take support from the service center.
Caution: Installing Custom ROM may void your warranty, because many companies not allow to unlock bootloader of device. AndroidGreek Team will not be responsible for any fault you made, since this may cause temporary/permanent damage to you device in case you mis perform the procedure.
- Android Device, and Laptop/computer
- Prioperatatry USB Cable
- Unlock Bootloader of your Device
- Installed Custom Recovery like TWRP
- ROM you want to installed (Some ROM need to be treated differently while installing on your device, so before proceeding checkout the instruction for the ROM which you want to installed on your device.)
- Download Gapps or Google Apps
How to Install a Custom ROM on Android Device
It is quite striaghtforward to perform, here is the complete guide to install a custom ROM on your device. Follow the following instructions mentioned down below.
Backup Your Device
It is important that you have take the complete backup of your data, so in case installing ROM failed you can restore the data. You can use the Google’s own Backup and Restore functionality or use your devce own backup functionality like Hello
It is important that you download the correct ROM file, which is designed and best suits for your needs. We have mentioned the list of some popular custom ROM on top of this article, checkout the features and functionality before proceeding. After choosing the ROM, you need to downlaod it on your device or computer.
Note: You have to wipe your device data during the procedure of the installing ROM, so it is required to plug your device to computer to transmit the data. Which are drivers, and also need to copy the ROM to your device internal storage.
Download Gapps or Google Apps
Flashing Gapps will help you to use Google Mobile Service, and it will allow to Sign-in to Google Apps effortlessly. Gapps also known as Google Apps comes with the services like Play Store, Gmail, Drive and more.
This is an additionally steps which you need to do later, which can be perform this through adb sideload .
You can check out the guides for Gapps here.
- Downlaod Gapps (Download Android 12 GApps for Any Android Device – Androidgreek)
- Installation Guide for Gapps (Download OpenGApps for Android 11 Custom ROMs – How to Guide (androidgreek.com))
Booting Recovery TWRP
You have finish download and storing the Gapps and Custom ROM file into your system internal memory. Now it’s time to boot the files into your device. Now simply boot your device into the recovery mode, to continue with flashing (Installing) the custom ROM on your android device.
TWRP is one of the most popular and commonly used recovery tool, after booting into TWRP you can start installing your choice of custom ROM on your device.
Flashing Custom ROM
- You need to Reboot your Device in TWRP Mode.
- For Recovery
First, Power off your device, hold the Volume Down + Power button and then navigate using the volume rocker.
- For Recovery
- In TWRP Mode, you need to Wipe cache, Data, and Dalvik cache. [Note: you don’t have to wipe the Vendor] (If you format instead of wipe cache, you have to reboot the recovery, or you might get an error/issue.)
- Now, Click Install and Navigate custom ROM and After Flash it on your devices.
- After that, Again Click to Install Button and Flash Android 12 GApps (If you Need Google Apps then Flash it)
- Reboot your device once installations are successful.
- That’s it, and You can now enjoy the Android 12 Custom ROM.
- How to Install Windows 11 24H2by Romeshwar Prasad
- Does Rice a potential solution for Wet iPhone?by Akhil Sharma
- One UI 7-based Android 15 Tracker: Eligible Deviceby Mehak
- Galaxy S24 Series starts receiving its first update.by Romeshwar Prasad
- Download Android 15 OTA for Pixel Devices | Developer Previewby Romeshwar Prasad