If you’re one of the many macOS Sonoma users who find the Caps Lock Indicator icon intrusive and annoying, you’re in the right place. Apple introduced this feature with the new OS, and it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Fortunately, we have a solution to help you regain control over your keyboard and improve your typing experience.
Turn off Caps Lock Icon on macOS Sonoma
The Caps Lock Indicator icon might seem unnecessary, especially if you’re already used to the LED light on the keyboard indicating whether Caps Lock is enabled. We understand your frustration. Apple, however, did not provide an option to disable this feature. But don’t worry, we’ve found two methods that can help you turn it off.
Method 1: Via Terminal
- Launch Terminal: Go to Launchpad > Others > Terminal.
- Enter Commands: In Terminal, type the following commands:
sudo mkdir -p /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add 'redesigned_text_cursor:Enabled' bool false" /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist
- Restart Your Mac: After executing these commands, restart your Mac to complete the task.
This method will disable the Caps Lock Indicator icon and give you a more streamlined typing experience.
- Create a Plist File: Open a text editor and create an XML Plist file with the following content:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>redesigned_text_cursor</key> <dict> <key>Enabled</key> <false/> </dict> </dict> </plist>
- Save the File: Save this file with a “.plist” extension, for example, “disable_caps_lock.plist.”
- Apply the File: After saving the file, restart your Mac. This will disable the CursorUIViewService service and, in turn, the Caps Lock Indicator icon.
These two methods should help you reclaim your keyboard from the intrusive Caps Lock Indicator icon.
1. Is it safe to use Terminal for this task?
- Yes, using Terminal is a safe method to disable the Caps Lock Indicator icon.
2. Can I re-enable the indicator later if I change my mind?
- Yes, you can re-enable the indicator by reversing the steps mentioned earlier.
- It’s recommended to have some technical knowledge, but the provided script is straightforward to use.
4. Will these methods affect other functions of my Mac?
- No, these methods are specifically designed to disable the Caps Lock Indicator icon without affecting other functionalities.
5. Can I contact Apple for support with this issue?
- Apple does not officially support disabling this feature, so using the provided methods is the best way to achieve this.
- What is the Google Pay Convenience Fee for Mobile Recharge Transactions?by Akhil Sharma
- What is Copilot? Microsoft Rebrands Bing to Compete Against ChatGPTby Akhil Sharma
- How to bypass the YouTube slowdown issue in Firefoxby Akhil Sharma
- What is the Lomdi AI App Store, and how do I use it?by Akhil Sharma
- How to Download and Use the Mozilla Firefox Extension on Mobileby Akhil Sharma