How to factory reset/erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings for MacBook Air before selling or giving it away
It is rare for users of the Apple MacBook Air to factory reset their device, unlike those who may have done so on Android or Windows devices. Resetting your device can be helpful for various reasons, such as when you wish to resell or give it away. Regardless of the reason, the process of factory setting your Apple MacBook Air is straightforward.
This guide will provide an in-depth tutorial on how to factory delete your Apple MacBook Air, which will also delete all of your personal information and customizations. It is pertinent to note that these instructions are for devices running macOS Monterey or later. Without further delay, let’s begin.
Creating a Backup Before proceeding with the factory reset
Creating a backup of your MacBook is essential to save all of your personal data, including music, apps, photos, email, and documents. One way to do this is by using Time Machine, a built-in feature on your Mac. You will also need an external storage device to store your data. The following is a guide on how to create a backup using Time Machine:
- Connect your external storage device to your MacBook.
- Open Time Machine Preferences from the Time Machine menu in the menu bar, and then select the external storage device.
- Click on “Encrypted Backup” and use the disk.
- Next, select the backup disk, and Time Machine should begin making a backup immediately.
- If you prefer to create a backup manually, choose “Backup Now” from the Time Machine menu in the menu bar. You can also check the backup status or skip it if it is in progress from the same menu bar.
Signing Out of iCloud and Other Services
It is also imperative to sign out of all services that you have logged into, such as iCloud, iMessage, and iTunes, especially if you are planning to sell your MacBook Air. To do this,
- Open the Apple menu in the upper-left corner and click on System Preferences.
- Click on Apple ID (macOS Catalina 10.15 or higher) or iCloud.
- In the overview, click on the “Sign Out” button. The Sign Out button can be found in this area on earlier versions of macOS.
- Next, sign out of your Apple Music and iTunes accounts if your MacBook Air is running macOS Mojave v10.14 or below. If it is running on a later version, open the Music/iTunes app.
- From the menu bar, select Account, and then open the drop-down menu. Click on Authorization, then select “Deauthorize This.
- You will be prompted to verify by entering your Apple ID and password.
- Lastly, to sign out of the Message app, open it and select Preferences from the top menu bar.
- Click on the iMessage tab, and you will find the option to sign out next to your Apple ID.
Performing a factory reset
Now, you can proceed with factory resetting your MacBook Air. This process removes all your data, apps, and settings.
- Put your MacBook Air into recovery mode by turning it on, and immediately press and hold Command + R on your keyboard.
- You may be prompted to enter a password. Enter the administrator password, select Disk Utility from the utility window, and click Continue.
- In the sidebar of Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD, and then click on the Erase button in the toolbar.
- Next, select the disc format as APFS if you run macOS 10.13 High Sierra or later. If you have an older version, choose MacOS Extended (Journal).
- Choose Erase Volume Group, or if you do not have this option, click Erase instead. Then select any other internal volumes in the sidebar and continue erasing them.
- Once you have finished erasing your disk, quit Disk Utility and return to the utility window.
- Select Reinstall macOS in the utility window, and then follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall macOS on your MacBook Air.
- It is imperative to keep the laptop lid open while installing.
Reinstalling takes some time, and once it is finished, you can now use your MacBook Air as it would have come out of the Apple factory. We value your feedback and would appreciate it if you could share any queries you may have in the comment section below. Stay tuned for more updates in the future. Thank you for following along.
- POCO X5 Pro 5G Rolling Out Stable MIUI 14 update
- Download Oppo Reno 8T 4K Wallpapers | Oppo Reno 8T Stock Wallpapers |Download FullHD+|
- Download POCO X5 Pro 4K Wallpapers | POCO X5 Pro Stock Wallpapers |Download FullHD+|
- Realme X7 Max 5G Rolling out stable Realme UI 4.0 Android 13 Update
- How to Download and Install Fortnite on Android Devices