Meta has recently announced that it is expanding the avatar experience to Instagram, WhatsApp, and Facebook. Over 1 billion avatars have been created across its platforms since its introduction in 2020. Avatar Video Calling is similar to FaceTime’s video call feature, Memoji, and promises to make conversations more interactive and expressive.
The company has announced that avatar video calls are now available on Instagram and Messenger, providing a third option between camera-off and camera-on. With avatar calling, it feels more like you are present on the call. This feature is available on Android and iOS devices on Instagram and Messenger. It makes the calling experience more interactive, especially if you do not want to show your background.
What is New with Instagram and Messenger Avatar Video Calls?
This enhanced feature will allow users to participate in video calls without feeling left out. The various animations allow for better communication, even without seeing the other person. Users can quickly create an avatar on Facebook and WhatsApp by taking a live selfie, and then suggested avatar options will be generated from
- Real-time Avatar Video Call: This creates an animated experience where friends can interact without seeing each other. It works on both Android and iOS devices by directly mimicking facial movements.
- Animated Avatar Sticker: With the animated avatar sticker, you can use it on your stories, comments, and private messages, adding a fun and dynamic touch to your conversations and posts.
- Social Stickers: These can be used to include friends in stories and also enable avatars. Social stickers can be shared in 1:1 message threads to create inside jokes and relive shared moments.
- Avatar Creations: You can create an avatar in seconds with a selfie, and then Meta will suggest an avatar. You can then fine-tune it according to your liking.
- Unified Avatar Looks: These can be used across Meta’s platforms, including Facebook, Messenger, and WhatsApp.
- Collaboration and Style: You and your friends can easily create stickers.
How to Create an Avatar on Instagram and Facebook
Creating an avatar on Instagram and Facebook is quick and easy, and it syncs across both platforms. Here is how:
- Open Instagram and navigate to your profile from the bottom navigation.
- Tap on “Edit Profile” and then select “Edit Picture” or “Avatar.”
- Click on the avatar icon on the right and then select “Create Avatar.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to customise your avatar’s skin tone, hairstyle, and outfits. Once you are finished, tap “Done” to save your changes.
How to Use Meta’s Avatar Video Calling on Instagram and Messenger
Meta’s avatar video-calling feature is a fun way to add a personal touch to your conversations. Here is how to use it:
- First, choose your profile picture from the upper-right corner, then select the “Avatars” option.
- If you have not created an avatar, follow the steps above.
- Using the avatar creator, personalise the appearance of your avatar.
- After customising your avatar, tap “Save.”
- Tap the avatar button in the upper-left corner when you are ready to make a video call with friends.
- Your avatar will appear on the screen, replacing your live video feed.
This feature allows you to add a fun, graphical representation of yourself to your video calls. You can choose from various avatars, including animals like cats, dogs, and llamas. This feature was introduced to expand Meta’s avatar video-calling across all platforms, including VR. It is expected to be available on WhatsApp in future updates.
Meta has multiple avatar-related features, including animated avatar stickers that can be used in Facebook stories and reels and sent as stickers in comments. Meta has standardised many features across various platforms, including account syncing, cross-platform sharing, privacy and security, stickers, and avatars.
Meta has also announced “social stickers,” which allow you to hang out with your friends’ avatar stickers. Meta says the avatar proportions are more proportional than those across its app. However, you may find them different from the ones you are used to.
- OneUI 6 Beta is rolling out to the Galaxy S22, and a hotfix is available for the Galaxy S23 Series.by Mehak
- Download and install iOS 17 on your eligible iPhone and iPad.by Romeshwar Prasad
- Genshin Impact 4.2 Beta – Application Date, Deadline, and How to Apply.by Love Adhikari
- iPhone 15 over iPhone 15 Pro Series is the best model to buy this year: Buyer’s Guide.by Mehak
- What does private browsing actually do and is browsing really private?by Romeshwar Prasad