Google’s Most Capable AI Model Yet: Gemini AI Multimodal Technology
Google has officially announced its most capable multimodal AI model, Gemini, which will be integrated into its products and services like search, ads, Chrome, Android, and more. After major delays, the AI First company has rolled out the Gemini AI to intensify the debate about the technology’s potential promise and perils. With the AI industry leaping forward, Gemini adds problem-solving skills, especially being adept in math and physics, to improve everyone’s life while intensifying the potential of AI applications just like humans.
The Gemini AI model adds techniques that improve performance by generating more accurate content. The company built this from the ground up. Multimodal combines different types of text, code, audio, image, and audio. Eight years ago, the AI-first company began helping users answer complex questions with research and, over time, added new capabilities.
Google Gemini AI Model: The Latest Foundation Model
The latest AI model can handle different types of output, including text and images. The multi-modal LLM outperformed GPT-4 for natural interactions that could revolutionise the capabilities of mimicking human-like interactions. The company hinted at its potential to be the largest language model to date.
The foundational model for handling a diverse range of data sources, including the capabilities of accomplishing input. The company is still catching up with ChatGPT and other similar AI models, as these chatbots were introduced a year ago. The company has trained on 5x data, trained on an Open Web racecourse that includes Wikipedia, Reddit, and such, compared to its predecessors, while being faster while also reducing the cost of operating such a system.
Gemini’s reasoning capabilities help users understand and reason with the tools through a clean chat interface. It comes in three different sizes: Gemini Nano, Gemini Pro, and Gemini Ultra, which are optimised to handle different levels of tasks. It’s said to reduce latency in English by 40% in the US; however, it still has a hallucinating issue.
Features of the Gemini AI Model
With a wide range of performance on a range of multimodal benchmarks, here is an overview of the features of the most viable alternative to Google’s Gemini AI Model.
- Capable of understanding text, images, audio, and much more at the same time.
- Advanced coding that can understand, explain, and generate high-quality code in Python, Java, C++, and Go.
The company first announced the Gemini AI during the I/O conference, where the DeepMind division of Google AI said they designed it to analyse images, audio, and text to find patterns in massive datasets that make it multimodal. Unlike GPT-4, which relies on plugins and integrations to offer multimodal functionality.
Gemini 1.0 with Advanced Capability and AI Model
It’s the most flexible model, which brings advanced capabilities to everyone for free, while its competitors like ChatGPT-4 cost $20 per month.
Google DeepMind, a division of Google, brings state-of-the-art performance that surpasses the leading benchmark. It is set to roll out gradually in phases, which will unlock opportunities for millions of people.
- Gemini Nano: This is the most efficient model for on-device tasks, offering smart replies in chat apps like WhatsApp through GBoard and summarization for voice recording on-device.
- Gemini Pro: It is commonly used for a wide range of tasks. It is capable of understanding, summarising, reasoning, coding, and planning.
- Gemini Ultra: This is the largest and most capable model for highly complex tasks. It outperformed human experts on MMLU (Massive Multitask Language Understanding), achieving a 90.0% score. MMLU includes math, physics, history, law, medicine, and ethics. It is still under safety checks and trust. Once it accomplishes this, it will start rolling out and be available early next year. The Ultra Model retrieves the correct value with 98% accuracy when queries are made across the full context length.
- AlphaGo 2: It also upgraded the coding model for AlphaGo 2, which helps to understand, explain, and generate high-quality code in programming languages like Python, Java, C++, and Go. It is the first AI to write code at a human level in competitive programming, performing 85% better than the competition and 50% better than its predecessor.
Additionally, Gemini is built from scratch as a collaborative effort across Google divisions. It isn’t limited to all types of information, as it can process text, code, audio, images, and videos. Upfront, the upgraded Gemini AI has had 10x parameters per year for the last five years and runs on the Cloud TPU v5p. It is the most powerful, scalable, and flexible TPU at scale.
However, Google hasn’t trained dedicated AI models like OpenAI’s DALL-E image generation tool and Whisper for audio processing.
Gemini AI is better than OpenAI’s GPT-4.
Gemini Pro has outperformed GPT 3.5, including MMLU, GSM8K, and other leading standards for measuring large AI models.
It is more flexible than GPT-4. Gemini AI is multimodal, whereas GPT-4 uses plugins to accomplish similar tasks. It gives options for on-device processing without needing to have internet connectivity. Also, GPT-4 is only accessible to paid users via ChatGPT Plus.
Moreover, Google has implemented new protections to account for Gemini’s multimodal capabilities to avoid the risk of misinformation and issues that could interfere with future development and improvements. Experts and partners have stress-tested the Gemini AI for issues and identified the blind spots for safety evaluation and safeguards to protect users from bias, toxicity, cyber-offence, persuasion, and autonomy.
Pre-Requirements for Gemini AI by Google
It is seamlessly integrated into Bard and Pixel 8 Pro, offering on-device efficiency, wide scalability, and unparalleled complexity.
It is currently only available in English. Google plans to diversify into other languages in the coming weeks.
Google Bard with Gemini AI
The company has integrated Gemini Pro into Bard, which is available in more than 720 countries. However, Bard isn’t accessible in the European Economic Area, which includes the EU and Switzerland.
- Open Google Bard (by visiting bard.google.com).
- Next, you can log in with your personal Google account.
- After that, you can start using Google’s latest multimodal Gemini.
- Enter the prompt in the text area to start generating content for you.
You can use it for advanced reasoning, planning, understanding, and other capabilities.
Bard Advance with Gemini Ultra
Gemini Ultra will be announced later next year, which will unlock a cutting-edge AI experience that offers more capabilities. Ultra is being further refined and, after being extensively tested for safety, will be available through early access for selected customers, developers, and partners.
Google Pixel 8 Pro, powered by Gemini AI
The December Pixel feature drop update has started rolling out from Gemini Neo to Pixel 8 Pro with Android 14. Gemini Neo allows processing data on-device, even in offline mode.
Summarise in the Recorder App
Now you can get a summary of your voice recordings.
Gboard (formerly Google Keyboard) now has Smart Reply, providing high-quality suggestions for messages. Currently, it is supported on WhatsApp, with more applications to be supported over time.
More similar features are yet to come over time, in addition to other AI-powered features like photos and videos like cutting-edge videos, recording time-lapse videos after dark, better light, Photo Unblur, high-quality video calls, scanning documents, and smarter replies in Call Screen.
Gemini AI Model for Developers
Google is going to give developers and enterprises access to Gemini via the Gemini API in AI Studio and Vertex AI. Google’s Gemini AI is scheduled to be released on December 13. Android developers will be able to integrate Gemini AI into their products and services with Gemini Nano via AI Core. The company aims to monetize Gemini and is also planning to license Gemini to developers and businesses.
Gemini AI into Google Products and Services
Google is going to offer its advanced multimodal capabilities, capable of handling complex tasks, in Google Search (SGE, Search Generative Experience), YouTube, Gmail, Google Maps, Google Play, Android, Chrome, Duet AI, Help Me Write, and others.
Google has also opened several roles for Google DeepMind. Google aims to further improve their Gemini as other companies, including Meta, IBM, Amazon, and reportedly more than 50 organisations, are accelerating the development of AI. Likewise, Apple is also developing its own GenAI by next year with iOS and Siri. We have seen how Apple is leveraging AGI on iOS 17 for predictive text recommendations with the iOS 17 iPhone Keyboard.
- How to Install Windows 11 24H2by Romeshwar Prasad
- Does Rice a potential solution for Wet iPhone?by Akhil Sharma
- One UI 7-based Android 15 Tracker: Eligible Deviceby Mehak
- Galaxy S24 Series starts receiving its first update.by Romeshwar Prasad
- Download Android 15 OTA for Pixel Devices | Developer Previewby Romeshwar Prasad