Windows 11 is now free to upgrade to. Get your free copy now!
Microsoft launched Windows 11 in 2021, a brand new version of Windows. In announcing this updated version, officials mentioned several additional features, such as Universal Media Control, Snap Layouts, Screen Time Monitoring, and more. However, because of its enhanced features, Windows 11 was initially priced at $110 (for the Home version) and $150 (for the Pro version).
Additionally, the installation has some strict requirements as it is a top-level Windows version. As a beginner PC user, you may be worried about setting everything up for Windows 11. And, with such an expensive price tag, what can be done? Fortunately, there is a way to get Windows 11 for free. Therefore, we will discuss this issue here.
How to Get a Free Upgrade to Windows 11
Officially, Windows 11 is a premium version. However, according to Microsoft, you can update it for no charge, provided that you have a Windows 10 PC and meet the required hardware configuration. Note that Windows 7 or 8 users cannot upgrade to Windows 11 for free. However, legal Windows 10 owners can upgrade for free. For details, check out the system requirements below:
- CPU: 1 GHz or above
- RAM: 4 GB
- Storage: 64 GB
- Ensure your PC is TPM 2.0-compatible, UEFI-compatible, and Secure Boot capable.
- Graphics card: DirectX 12 is compatible with the WDDM 2.0 driver.
One new feature you may notice after reviewing the system requirements is TPM. TPM stands for Trusted Platform Module, which enables the hardware to be secured by cryptoprocessor keys. Users often need help to check whether their PC has TPM 2.0, despite knowing the TPM 2.0 requirement. To check TPM on your PC, navigate through PC settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Security >> Device Security.
Following this, you will see security processor details, which means your PC has TPM. Note that if it is below 2.0, you are not eligible to upgrade to Windows 11. However, if you don’t find such security processor details, TPM is disabled on your PC. To enable it, navigate through PC Settings >> Update & Security >> Recovery >> Restart now >> Troubleshoot >> Advanced options >> UEFI Firmware Settings >> Restart.
Now, everything is ready, and the moment has arrived when we can instal Windows 11 for free. Check if your PC is eligible for Windows updates by visiting the Software Updates section. To do so, go to Settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Update. Keep an eye out for updates: >>Follow the on-screen instructions. Alternatively, you can manually instal Windows 11 by following the steps below.
- Visit the Windows 11 download page by clicking here.
- From there, download the file.
- Once it finishes downloading, follow the on-screen installation guide to proceed.
- That’s it; you’re done.
Furthermore, many of the few who have already joined the Windows 11 Insider Preview Program remain enrolled. As a result, you may need clarification when trying to access the final release. The Windows 11 Insider Preview Program is a testing phase where Windows verifies the stability of the version before proceeding to the last release. If you are one of those stuck in this situation, you can follow the instructions below to switch to the most recent stable build.
- All you need to do is go to Start > Settings > Windows Update.
- Then, select Windows Insider on the right.
- Now, click on “Stop getting preview builds.” Select the “Unenroll this device when the next version of Windows is released” option on the next page.
- Click the link to leave the Insider Program and confirm it.
- You will then be removed from the Insider Program.
- Lastly, upgrade to Windows 11, as mentioned above.
However, if any user wants to be part of the latest Windows 11 Insider Preview Program, they can do so. You must visit Settings >> Updates & Security >> Windows Insider Preview Program. Get started by following the on-screen instructions. By doing so, you can instal the latest Windows 11 Insider Preview programme on your PC.
WINDOWS 11 DEV
Overall, the Windows 11 stable build and the Insider Preview Program have their place. It depends on the user’s motivation for participating. Those who want to explore the upcoming features sooner can join the Insider Preview Program; otherwise, they can choose the stable build. And we hope you can now do so because we covered everything here. If anyone still has questions, feel free to reach out below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. We have already covered this above.
Windows 11 is better in terms of virtual desktops.
Ans. Switching from Windows 10 to Windows 11 is free.
Ans. We have already covered this above.
- How to Capture Astrophotography and Astro Hyperlapse on the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra?
- How to Check Your GPU Temperature on Windows 11
- How can I update all Samsung Good Lock modules at once?
- Microsoft PowerToys has been updated with a Taskbar Quick Access flyout
- Download the Ghostwriter add-in for Microsoft Word, powered by OpenAI’s ChatGPT.