How to Password Protect the Screensaver in Windows 10
Screensavers are programs that play moving pictures or patterns on your monitor display when you’re not active on your PC for a specific amount of time. The older monitors were protected by this. Today we are going to Share a “How to Password Protect the Screensaver in Windows 10.”
There is also an option to restart the screensaver and display the login screen. When some users are away for a specific period of time, they may want to lock their system. It will display the screensaver and lock the computer shortly thereafter.
Password Protect the Screensaver in Windows 10
There are three methods to password protect the screensaver in window 10.
- Using the Screensaver Settings
- Using the Local Group Policy Editor
- By Using the Registry Editor
method 1: Using the screensaver setting.
The usual and mostused method of enabling screensaver protection is the screensaver settings in Windows. This works for screensavers set by the user. The screen does not lock as soon as it starts. It takes a few seconds for the screen to be locked on your system.
- First, open the setting on your window.
- To open the Windows Settings app, hold the Windows key and press I.
- Then select Personalization settings.
- Now, Scroll down to the bottom of the left pane and click on Lock Screen.
- Then click on the Screen saver settings option.
- The next step is to set the Screensaver and check the “On resume, display logon screen” option.
- Screensaver protection can be enabled and disabled from here.
- That’s it…..
Method 2: Using the Group Policy Editor
Windows Group Policy is a tool that allows access to the operating system’s settings. It allows you to enable and disable the screensaver password protection. The check box also grays out the standard users’ right to make changes without administrator rights.
For Windows Home users, this method isn’t necessary. You can try other ways. However, if you already have Group Policy Editor on your computer, then follow the below steps:
- Use the Windows + R keyboard shortcuts to open the Run dialog box. Type “gpedit.msc” in the box and hit Enter. The Local Group Policy Editor window will open on your system.
- Then, navigate to:
User Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Control Panel\ Personalization\
- Then double-click the policy named “Password protect the screen saver” and you’ll see a new window open. Scroll down on the page and you’ll see the toggle option Enabled.
Note: You can disable and remove password protection by selecting the Disabled option.
- Then, click the Apply and Ok buttons to save the changes.
- The Group Policy has updated most of the time automatically. Otherwise, the group policy must be updated manually.
- Run Command Prompt via the search feature on Windows and type in the following command as an administrator. Now hit the Enter key to run it. It can also be done via the restarting of the computer.
- In step 3, you can revert back to the default settings by setting the toggle option to Not Configured.
- That’s it…
Method 3: Using the Registry Editor
The Registry Editor is a database that stores all the information about the operating system and applications. If you already configured the screensaver password protection setting with Group Policy Editor, then the Registry will be configured for the same setting.
If you use this method directly, you will need to set it up by hand because some keys and values aren’t present to configure the setting. The steps provided below also include a step for creating a Registry backup. You can choose to create a backup or skip making a backup, it’s up to you.
- First, Clicking the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard opens the Run box. Then you must enter “regedit” in the box and click the Enter key or click on the Okay button to open the Registry Editor. If prompted by the UAC prompt, just click on the Yes button.
- The Registry backup is created by clicking on the File menu, choosing the Export option that appears as a context menu, then naming the file and setting a path. Then click on the Save button to conclude the Registry backup process.
Note: To restore a registry backup, you can click the Import option on the File menu. Now you just need to select the backup file you made recently.
- The Registry Editor window will have the following location:
Note: If the Desktop key does not appear, just right-click or right-tap on the Control Panel key and choose the New > Key option. Then you can rename the newly created key to “Desktop”.
- Right-click on the Desktop key’s right panel then choose the New > String Value option. Then rename the value as “ScreenSaverIsSecure” and save it.
- To activate Screensaver Protection, double-click ScreenSaverIsSecure value and it will open a small dialog. Change the value data to 1 to activate Screensaver Protection.
Note: If you want to disable the protection and greyout option, set the value data to 0.
- In the end, close the Registry Editor window, reboot your computer, and you’re done.
- The Registry Editor allows you to revert back to the default setting by removing the value.
- That’s it….
Thanks for being with us. We would like to know your valuable opinion and feedback if there is any query share with us in the comment section below. Stay tuned for further updates in the future on the same.
- How to send Best Quality Photos and Videos on WhatsApp | Enable Best Quality Media
- Download Best GCam 8.1 for Android Device | Google Camera Port UltraCVM_v8.1.apk by UltraM8
- Download Best GCam 8.1.1 for ASUS Zenfone 6/7/8, and ROG 2/3 | Google Camera Port GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.3.apk by Wichaya
- How to Create a CON Folder in Windows in Window 7, 8, 10, and 11
- Download Best GCam 8.2.4 for Xiaomi, Redmi, and Poco | Google Camera Port MGC_8.2.400_A10_V-alpha2 by BSG
- Download Best GCam 8.1.101 for Android | Google Camera Port NGCam_8.1.101-v1.3-fix by Nikita
- OPPO A93s 5G Launched in China with Dimensity 700, 48MP Triple-cam setup & 5,000mAh battery
- Poco F3 GT has been unveiled, the biggest competitor to OnePlus Nord 2 5G
- How to Disable/Enable the Startup Sound on Windows 11
- Nova Launcher 7 APK – The Public Beta Goes Live on Google Play | How to Install and Feature guide
- OnePlus Nord 2 5G Lauched with Dimensity 1200-AI, 50MP Triple-camera Full Specification and Price