How do I fix the FPS drop problem in Modern Warfare 2 on PC?
It has been a week since Activision launched Modern Warfare II with a new optimized engine. With a redesigned engine, the graphics are now more stable, and there are added features. But like every other Call of Duty release, Modern Warfare 2 is also struggling with FPS drop issues. Even players who adhere to the system requirements still face the same issue.
For such reasons, developers have begun analyzing the reasons behind such FPS drop. Unfortunately, they might take some more time to fix. Major players can’t wait to try the new engine created by Modern Warfare 2. For this reason, we researched and found some fixes that might resolve the FPS drop.
How to fix COD Modern Warfare 2 FPS Drops?
FPS (Frames Per Second) is the major thing in every battle royale game. And, if the game is Call of Duty, such a legacy-based game needs a lot of support. However, CoD developers always take care of their graphics and overall gameplay design. But still, there is some inconvenience that happens when trying to add on.
Like here, they have released the highly anticipated Modern Warfare 2 with a very powerful engine. The new successor also brought about some changes. But now, the players are experiencing FPS drops on their PCs. This is why we have compiled a list of fixes that will resolve the issue. But before that let’s have a look at the minimum system requirements.
- Operating System: Windows® 10 64 Bit (latest update)
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-6100 / Core™ i5-2500K or AMD Ryzen™ 3 1200
- RAM: 8 GB
- Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960 or AMD Radeon™ RX 470 – DirectX 12.0 compatible system
- DirectX: Version 12
- SSD: 125 GB available space
Now you have looked at the minimum system requirements to run Modern Warfare 2 on your PCs. I hope you have met these requirements and are still experiencing the FPS drop issue. Consequently, if you are one of these players, here are some fixes to help you enjoy the game without being distracted.
Update your Windows
Windows that are out of date do not function properly. The game files will not be processed by Windows internal programs. Following this, while running CoD Modern Warfare 2 the game will lose FPS and players will see FPS drop. So, be sure to update your Windows to its latest version.
- On your desktop, look for the search box.
- Type check for updates and click on it.
- Click on the option “Check for Updates”.
- Following this, your PC will search for the latest update.
- After that, click on Install (if any update is found) and follow the on-screen instructions.
- That’s it, your Windows has been updated successfully.
Update Your Graphic driver
Windows Update has an indirect influence on your Modern Warfare 2 FPS drop. But for Graphic drivers, you need to take care a lot. Because Graphic drivers have a direct influence over CoD Modern Warfare 2 FPS. And, if your PC’s graphic drivers are old, it will not be able to utilize Warfare 2 Graphics and result in a drop in FPS. To update graphic drivers, follow these steps.
- Simply press the Windows + R key on your keyboard.
- Type dxdiag and hit enter to open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
- Choose the display tab and under the device, you’ll find your graphic card manufacturer.
- Now head to your graphic card manufacturer’s website (like NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel)
- Then look for the latest driver and download it.
- Once it did, follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
Disable unwanted apps
When playing CoD Modern Warfare 2, your computer must be extremely focused to cooperate and execute the game’s programs. And at that time any other unwanted app is running in the background. Thus, the CPU will become overheated unnecessarily and lead to a drop in FPS. For this reason, you need to disable unwanted apps. To disable it follow the below steps.
- Begin by pressing the Windows + R key.
- Type taskmgr and press enter.
- Now under the process tab, look for applications you want to disable.
- Then right-click on each application and click on the end task.
- That’s it, your FPS drop issue will now be fixed.
As of now, these are the most working fixes for specifically FPS drops in CoD Modern Warfare 2. However, If any user still facing the issue, they can raise a complaint over the Activision’s website and wait for the official update to get it fixed. Additionally, if you have any questions about the given steps, please ask them all in the following section.
- WhatsApp will have a 2GB file sharing document banner, a calling shortcut, and make pinned messages more accessible.
- How to enable Split-screen in Microsoft Edge
- Download Android 13 for Google Pixel LineageOS 20 | LineageOS 20
- How to Go Live on YouTube with a Co-host on Android/iOS
- Update your OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro to avoid bricking your device in restarting mode.